Friday, January 4, 2013

To twirl or not to twirl?

I recently read a book where every time the main character got into a sticky situation he would start off with the phrase "There are two type of people in the world" and then give the two options for how he could overcome said sticky situation and put himself in one category or the other.  So borrowing a page from this theory....

There are two types of people in the world; those that twirl their spaghetti and those that don't.  As we celebrate National Spaghetti day, I invite you to ask yourself - Which kind are you?

Me?  I'm a twirler.  There shall be none of that neat cutting of the spaghetti for me - bring on the saucy swirly mess!  I'm convinced that the perfect twirl is an art form and takes years to perfect.  There's always that one noodle that just doesn't want to get on the twirling band wagon and manages to worm its way off the fork no matter how hard you work at it.  So, if you're like me, you do the best you can with the twirl and probably end up with a little sauce on your face by the time everything is said and done.

And that's OK.  Isn't part of the joy of spaghetti the mess?  What kid doesn't love putting a bite in their mouth with that one piece of pasta still hanging out, giving a good slurp and have it spin in mad circles straight into their mouth?  As a Mom, totally against this.  As a kid at heart, gotta love it.  Just don't tell my kiddos, okay?

Our spaghetti and homemade meatballs were devoured in record time here tonight.  (Any dinner with dessert included that my kids finish in 25 minutes gets 5 stars in my book)  And it was a good thing because our celebration today was almost an EPIC FAIL.  This morning when I went to pull out the spaghetti to remind myself that was what was for dinner tonight, I discovered that what I thought was spaghetti was actually (gasp of horror!) angel hair pasta!  Totally not the same thing.  So we made a bit of a detour to Kroger's post-school today to side step that giant mistake.

Speaking of school, Noah is officially back in session.  Somehow we've already made it halfway through the school year - scary!  And branching off of that a bit further, Grant and I would appreciate any prayers and guidance you might want to send our way as we are struggling to make a decision on where to enroll Noah in school next year.  We've been doing our research and hope to come up with a final decision here soon.  (Complete side note - My first MAJOR gripe with the state of Michigan - cutting funding for 1/2 day kindergarten and making it almost mandatory for the schools to switch over to full day kindergarten.  Any school that only does 1/2 days only receives 1/2 of the funding per student, making it nearly impossible for the school to only do 1/2 days.  The school we are zoned for hasn't had 1/2 days for the past 4 years.  Grrrr, really don't think that a 5 year old needs to be in school from 9am-4pm every day....)

Plans for taking down the Christmas decorations, Home Depot build and some major organizing/cleaning promise to make it a busy weekend.  Trust me when I say you'll want to check back to see what we're 'celebrating' around here this weekend :-p

 Spaghetti and meatballs - happy celebrating!

Did I mention the homemade bread that had only come out of the oven 10 minutes before, too??  Still celebrating National Bread Machine month ;-)

1 comment:

  1. If I ever go on a diet, I'm going to have to stop reading your blog--I always end up hungry after reading about and seeing all the tastiness!

    ReplyDelete