Friday, January 18, 2013

Quacks Like a Duck, Tastes Like Chicken

 I've mentioned a few times earlier this week that today was going to be a bit of a challenge.  It's Peking Duck day!

I will readily admit that I have never had Peking Duck.  My uncultured self will even go far enough to admit that I've never had duck.  So I didn't think I was quite up for the challenge of making Peking Duck myself nor was I quite sure where I may easily acquire such a thing - it's not like you can go to the grocery store and pick up some Peking Duck.

So I decided to stay with the spirit of the dish and improvise a bit.  We had Peking Chicken!  For all I know the flavor and essence of the dish is completely different than the tradition Peking Duck but I figured it was better than nothing.

And it came as a surprise (though at this point it shouldn't given their track record this week) that my family LOVED the dish.  Grant said it was some of the best chicken he's ever had, Mikayla ate it without putting it in her cheek once (those of you who have ever shared a meal with Kayla know what I'm talking about...) and Noah devoured it.  They have all requested it again soon.  Also had to tell you that the kiddos each had three helpings of the hot buttered rum chex mix with our movie last night.  Pastrami, Hot Buttered Rum and Peking Duck, who'd have thought...  Rhubarb pie is sometime next week and I'm approaching it with much less trepidation now :-p

Today is also another celebration - it is International Snowman Day!  I've been looking forward to this for awhile.  I figured we live in Michigan and it's mid-January we'd get to make some fabulous looking snowman.  Apparently Mother Nature has forgotten about it snowing here this year (which don't get me wrong Mother Nature, other than today is TOTALLY OK with me) so no such luck on building actual snowman.  As seems to be the theme this week, we improvised!

I made an extremely cute marshmallow snowman for dessert and the kiddos did a snowman art project.  Huge thanks to the Farmington Hills downtown library for the inspiration after story time earlier this week.  Who knew there was such a fun use for deodorant :-p

Big weekend plans, make sure you check back in with us!  Until then...

My snowman creation


 Noah and Kayla getting ready to make their snowmen

 Decorating away



 Noah's finished project

 Kayla's finished project (I know it's hard to see but when the deodorant dries on black paper it looks like snow)

 Peking Chicken marinating away

 Ready for dinner

Peking Chicken - one of the best reviews of all our celebrated foods so far

2 comments:

  1. That chicken looks delicious, and your marshmallow friend looks adorably tasty! Half of me wants to admire it, and the other half wants to eat it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, that's pretty much exactly what Grant said! He said it was almost too cute to eat :-p (The kids on the other hand had no problem chowing down on them...)

      Delete