Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Blonde Ambition

 Blondes have more fun, right?  Then are blondies more fun than brownies?  I supposed that depends who you ask and what kind of chocolate trips your trigger.  But in celebration of National Blondies day we're going with that today Blondies are more fun!

It is COLD here.  Not just a little chilly, but downright frigid.  Too cold to venture out to play for sure.  In fact, we went to storytime (and on what is turning out to be a very unsuccessful hunt for a main ingredient in tomorrow's celebratory food...) and that was it.  I thought my little munchkins were going to freeze from the car into the library.  Mother Nature, would you mind turning the thermostat back up in Michigan, please?

Since we were spending the day inside, in addition to Kid Kitchen, I decided to get out the colorable (is that even a word?) playhouse Uncle Scott got for Mikayla for Christmas.  Why didn't I do this sooner?  They have been thrilled all day coloring, hiding, playing, imagining and sincerely enjoying playing with each other.  I don't think I had to break up one fight all day today!  Not that I want to jinx it, but I don't think that either one has been in any kind of trouble all day.  While I usually dread days where we're 'stuck' inside today has been awesome!

So in addition to the Blondies we made in Kid Kitchen, Noah is also responsible for taking the snack to school tomorrow.  It's "S" week at school so after thinking for awhile on it, I told Noah we could either make strawberry muffins or strawberry donuts.  He (surprisingly) opted for the muffins.  When I told him that he could make them himself he was elated.  I can't wait for him to go to school tomorrow and be able to 'brag' to everyone that he made the snack.  I even let him dice up almost all the strawberries himself. (No easy feat for this perfectionist Mama)  We had a few extra so he did a taste test and pronounced them acceptable.  I'll let you know tomorrow how they go over with his class.

Until then...

 After constructing the playhouse it became glaringly evident that I am not the engineer in the family...  

 They were so excited

 They even managed to rope Bella in for awhile

 I had to peek in through the window
 Wish it was a little bigger so I could get in there and snuggle, too!


 Ready to make some Blondies!

 We made cake batter Blondies.  I have had this recipe bookmarked since before Christmas because I thought it looked so yummy.  Glad we finally had the opportunity to try it out!

 Stirring

 More stirring

 Lots of stirring!

 It made some really thick batter

 Our Blondies fresh out of the oven (yes, I know I used Christmas cake mix and Christmas sprinkles - don't judge!  We had to use it up somehow :-p)

 Whisking together the dry ingredients for the muffins

 Lining the muffin tins

 These were relatively healthy muffins (1/4 cup brown sugar and 1/4 cup white sugar per 10 muffins and no milk, oil or butter, and only egg white.  And we got to use up some of our applesauce!)

 Kayla stirs while Noah whisks the egg white


 Noah slicing and dicing

 Mikayla was more intent on watching everything go down today

 Folding in the strawberries

 Lunch break!  (I must be going soft in my old age, I let them have lunch in the playhouse)

 Muffins ready for the oven

 Freshly baked!

 So proud!

 A side shot of our Blondies

Grant celebrating with a taste test (everyone loved the, btw)

1 comment: