Wednesday, January 16, 2013

I don't give a fig

 Nabisco, my apologies up front today.  I know today is Fig Newton day and my research has shown that a "Fig Newton" is actually only the cookie you produce but we celebrated with a homemade version here at the Gatchel's tonight.  But consider me plugging your product today for all of the other people that stumble across my little blog :-p

So faithful readers, if you care to be enlightened, read on.  If not, there's a cute picture of Noah at the end of the post.

Last week I was flipping through my Family Fun magazine (Thanks, Aunt Diane!) and came across a recipe for sugar plum bars.  I took a look at the picture and my brain said 'fig newton'  I remembered that this week we had Fig Newton day so I marked the recipe and set it aside.  I figured why buy a box of cookies to celebrate when I could make my own?  Isn't that part of this whole project?

So yesterday I made my cookies.  The recipe had a side note that said in order for them to 'have the texture and taste of the packaged cookie' I should make them the day before and they would soften.  They were fairly simple to make and made my house smell heavenly.  While they baked I decided to look a little more into the cookie history.

Which is when I realized my mistake; my cookies are not official fig newtons.  Oops.

Turns out that the 'newton' is the name of the cookie made only by Nabisco.  It was patented in the 1890's by a guy that invented the machine that made the cookie into the shape that everyone is familiar with and was called a Newton after the town (in Massachusetts) where the factory they were first made in was located .   Only in the past few years have other flavors been added, making them Strawberry Newtons and Raspberry Newtons.

All that being said, we're still celebrating here today.  Not the official fig newton, but a cookie that looks and tastes just like it!  You win some, you lose some.  I consider this a win since everyone here enjoyed the tasty treat.  Until tomorrow...





3 comments:

  1. They look like Fig Newtons. I'd call them that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Mom and MIL. Personally, I thought they were better than Fig Newtons :-p They had orange zest in the batter and the filling and it gave them that little something extra. I'd make them again :)

      Delete