Thursday, November 14, 2013

In A Pickle

It's official - I may have finally taken this project too far.

But I am getting ahead of myself.

Happy National Guacamole Day!  We've already done a guacamole celebration around here once a few months ago, so I wanted to find something a little different for us to celebrate.  We had Guaco-Tacos for dinner!  Take out the meat, replace it with guacamole and there you have a guaco taco!  I made my own guacamole from scratch and my avocados were the perfect ripeness for mashing.  This may have something to do with the fact that I left them right next to my bananas on top of my bread box.  I seem to remember reading that they oxidize at a faster rate when next to other fruit.  But I could be completely off-base.  Doesn't matter, they were perfect.  Guacamole for all!

Which leads me to how I've gone too far.  Because we weren't just celebrating guacamole today.

Happy National Pickle Day!

I love pickles.  I adore pickles.  Pickles and peanut butter - fave sandwich!  Claussen's dill spears (Or Mrs. Madden pickles as they are known at the Kosakowski house) - I could eat them all day.  So just eating a pickle would have been a-ok with me.  But of course, I never do things the easy way so I set out a new challenge for myself - we needed a pickle dessert!

Let me back up again.  I first of all asked my lovely friend, Morgan, to share her pickle dip recipe for today.  (I'm officially calling it Morgan's Famous Pickle Dip).  Let me share this little gem because it should be a go to for any pickle loving gang at your next party - 1 cup diced pickle, 8 oz cream cheese (softened) 1 tsp Worcestershire Sauce.  Stir together, refrigerate.   OMG - awesome!  Serve it with something salty (we did tortilla scoops, Morgan recommends Kettle Chips!) for an added bonus.

OK, back to my dessert.  So I scoured the internet and finally came up with a recipe I liked - pickle cupcakes!  I knew I had to give it a go!  I mean, how often are you going to eat, make, find pickle cupcakes?  But don't take my word for it, here's some of today's reviews:

Morgan's 2 year old son, Nolan:
Morgan- do you like them?

Him- yeah!
Morgan- do they taste like pickles?
Him- yeah!


Morgan:
The sweet cakey-ness is a strange base for the salty dill-ness. But the actual chunks of crunchy, yet chewy pickle pieces shock your tongue and makes you remember this ain't your normal cupcake!

Julie at my PTA Board Meeting thought they were OK but was so weirded out she couldn't finish it.

Chuck at my PTA Board Meeting said they were "not bad.  Edible.  But strange.  Not what you're expecting"

Mikayla:  These are weird, Mama.

Noah:  These are awesome!  (Said right after Mikayla's take.  Imagine that)

Grant:  I think they're good.  But weird.

Alright, I'm off for the evening, I've got quite a few things to get done after I've been so busy celebrating pickles all day.  Raisin Bran tomorrow (I just pulled the muffins out of the oven for the morning, they smell divine!)  and Bundt Cake.  So until then...



Mixing up the cupcakes 

Wanna bite?


 Perfect avocados make the most beautiful guacamole!

 Do you know the trick to keep your guacamole from browning?  When you stick it in the fridge put the pits in with it :)

 The beautiful Bean

 Morgan's Famous Pickle Dip!

 Guaco Tacos


No comments:

Post a Comment