Tuesday, October 30, 2012

One Blustery Day

 Holy frog legs, Batman, it's windy out there!  It has been one blustery day here in Farmington Hills.  We've had consistent winds of 25-35 mph, with gusts over 50 mph!  It's one of those days that there was no thought of going out unless we absolutely had to (like for Halloween story time, hehe) which was A-OK with us because it's Tuesday which means we have lots planned.

After breakfast, while I cleaned the house for a bit, the kiddos got out the play doh.  Of course they had to include Flat Peyton in their play time.  God bless the person who came up with the idea of play doh.  Even if I have to try to scrape it out of the carpeting and off the table, the joy and creativity Thing 1 and Thing 2 get out of it is totally worth it.

Then, first on our Kid Kitchen Tuesday agenda was for them to help me make dinner.  I've been racking my brain for a meal they can help me prepare when the obvious finally dawned on me - meatloaf!  I think it might be virtually impossible to mess up meatloaf.  You throw a bunch of stuff in a bowl, mix it together and bake it.  I've never used a recipe before and actually explained it to the kiddos by saying "You mix a whole bunch of stuff together, whatever you want" to which Noah suggested adding Skittles.  We passed on that option...  It's also a great make it now, bake it later dish.

They did an excellent job and were so stinkin' proud of themselves.  They kept saying that Daddy was going to be so impressed.

We then tried to use up some of the Halloween candy in a project that we could send to work with Daddy.  (His co-workers either love me or hate me, I'm convinced because of all the stuff I send to work with him)  We came up with Reese's Krispies - how much fun.  You'll have to see the results.

And for lunch - rainbow pasta.  Noah chose blue and Mikayla wanted purple.  I'm thinking of buying stock in food coloring seeing all the uses I am finding for it lately.  Super easy yet wildly entertaining.

Though there's not any pictures, I let them help make the rest of dinner, too.  Mikayla rolled up the crescent rolls (interesting...) and made cherries and pudding while Noah got to make mashed potatoes.  It was a lot of fun to see how proud of themselves they were when it was all finished.

Alright, off to tackle the rest of this crazy windy day...
 
Play doh fun


 Flat Peyton played, too

 I wanted proof that I made them wash their hands before you see the rest of these pictures...

 They actually got to decide how much of each of the ingredients to add

 And the mixing begins






 Their finished meatloaf

 Unwrapping the Reese's

 I let Noah handle the knife work on this one


 Aren't they cute?

 Yeah, them too ;-)

 Mixing up their rainbow pasta



 Noah's blue pasta

 Mikayla's purple pasta

 To complete my cool mom status for the day, I even let them eat lunch with their fingers ;-)


 Unforeseen consequence of blue pasta - blue tongue!

 Mikayla wasn't entirely sold on the reese's krispies

We took Flat Peyton with us to Halloween story time

No comments:

Post a Comment