Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Cinnamon Crescent Magic

 I have my hands full enough keeping up with all the National food and drink holidays so very rarely do I acknowledge any of the other 'off-beat' holidays.  But I'd be most remiss if I didn't send a shout out to three very important people in my life.

Happy National Siblings Day!  If you follow along here on any regular basis you know that I have three incredible siblings all of who I am ridiculously proud of.  This past year especially.  Sarah- I am so thrilled with your progress with the new salon.  People write blogs (other than me) absolutely singing your praises.  (You can check it out yourself here and here)  Can't wait to see what you do next :)  Shell - You got married!  I can't believe it and I am so happy for you and Dudley.  And you have a house which you've done an incredible job putting together (it always makes me feel warm and cozy being there)  And how many aunts would risk their jaccuzi tubs for their niece and nephew?   Scott - Even though the thought of you graduating in a few weeks makes me feel incredibly old I can't wait to see what you do next.  I was so amazingly proud of you making state and then getting to be there and see you achieve beyond anyone's expectations.  All my love to all three of you today!

It's also National Cinnamon Crescent Day.  Your guess is as good as mine about what this actually is, so I stretched the parameters a bit and thought outside the box.  While my family can make a tray of mini cinnamon rolls made with crescent dough disappear in the blink of an eye, I thought we'd try something else.  So I made some cinnamon crescent twists (just what it sounds like, crescent roll dough with a layer of cinnamon yumminess then more crescent dough twisted.) which all disappeared with dinner tonight.  Sharing my newest baking secret for on toast or cinnamon roll filling - add vanilla and nutmeg! (Butter, sugar (white or brown, your choice), cinnamon, vanilla, nutmeg - spread on whatever and baked = best smelling house ever)

After dinner we decided to use cinnamon and crescents to make dessert too.  With a few marshmallows, of course.  You've got to try these to believe them.  Take one marshmallow, roll in melted butter, then roll in cinnamon sugar.  Wrap it up completely in a crescent roll (try your best to seal in in, you'll thank me) dip the top in the butter and then the cinnamon sugar, put it in a muffin tray and bake at 375 for 12-15 minutes.

If I thought the twists disappeared quickly, it had nothing on the marshmallow puffs.  You've got to see the pictures to believe them.  Grant described them as eating a cinnamon roll with the frosting on the inside.

We fondue, part 2 tomorrow.  (Noah has been waiting and planning for this all week)  Until then...

Cinnamon crescent twists

 Making the puffs




Ready for the oven


 Right out of the oven

Heaven in cinnamon crescent form

No comments:

Post a Comment