Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Chinese Almond Garbage Yumminess

 When I first saw today was Chinese Almond Cookie Day I was a little afraid that I was going to have to make fortune cookies because I honestly had no idea what a Chinese Almond cookie actually was.  Turns out that it's kind of like an almond shortbread using shortening instead of butter.  In fact, as the dough was coming together it reminded me a lot of the dough for last night's empenadas, just with the addition of almond.  I found a fairly simple recipe and it seemed like a good task for us to undertake in today's Kid Kitchen.

This was a good choice for the kiddos as they got to use the mixer, the sifter, roll the cookies into balls, press them down a bit and put on the red dots with chop sticks.  The pictures are proof at how efficient they are getting as Mikayla was running the mixer on her own!  The cookies are cute, but nothing to write home about in my opinion.  Though my shortbread loving Noah is of course pretty taken with them.

They did such a great job making the cookies that I decided to let them help out with dinner, too.  I had stumbled across a picture of something called garbage bread a couple weeks back and I knew we had to try it out.  Think calzone but wrapped up like a cinnamon roll instead.  The one I saw had buffalo chicken and I knew that wouldn't fly too well around here, so we came up with our own combo.  I had some chicken already cooked up that I wanted to use, so we did ranch, chicken, bacon, green onions and cheddar cheese.  We rolled out the pizza dough I had made into a rectangle (after we established it had four sides with two long edges and two short edges) Mikayla spread out the dressing while Noah shredded the cheese.  Then we just layered it all on and rolled it up.

The results?

No leftover garbage bread!  The kids loved it and I love how versatile it is.  I have a feeling we're going to be seeing garbage bread around here a lot more often.

In other news we had fun at storytime today and were thrilled with another Tigers win.  On our way home from the library we heard the play by play on Miggy hitting a 3 run homer, to which Kayla yelled "Yay, go Tigers!"  So well trained I tell ya.

Alright, Noah and I are off to make playdoh for him to take to school with him tomorrow.  Grant's off to play euchre with some of his co-workers and then it is most definitely an early bedtime for my twosome as they actually were allowed to stay up for the entire first half of the game last night, which ended up being nearly 10:30.  I'm such a softie...

Cinnamon crescents tomorrow.  Until then...

Have I mentioned lately that I adore them?


 Noah beating the egg

 Yes, that really is my three year old running the mixer all on her own

 Noah too!

 Trying out the sifter

 Rolling out the dough

 Dotting the cookies with a chop stick

 All baked up


Spreading out the ingredients on the garbage bread


 Our garbage bread ready to be rolled up

 Fresh from the oven

An inside shot


No comments:

Post a Comment