Saturday, April 6, 2013

A Crackerjack of a Day

 I'll admit that my personal favorite part of a box of crackerjacks is the prize.  I can kind of take or leave the caramel corn and peanuts, but the thought of if I eat it all there is something fun hidden in it for me is enough to entice me to munch on a box every once in a while.  If only someone could come up with something similar using vegetables (peas!) I think it'd be a sure fire hit with parents everywhere.

It's National Caramel Corn Day (bonus to the man behind the curtain for making it the day after caramel day which means only one purchase of ingredients...) and I tried my hand at making some homemade crackerjacks for everyone here to enjoy.  It seemed the perfect treat this afternoon as we watched the Tigers defeat the Yankees for the second day in a row.  I swear if we had some roasting peanuts I would have felt like I was at the game today.  My kitchen certainly smelled like it.

We've had a pretty low key day, hanging out, the kids did their Home Depot workshop this morning, a trip to the library, the Tigers game, tons of cooking in the kitchen for me and we're ending the night with some baths, a bit of video game playing as a treat and then the Michigan basketball game!  I've promised Thing 1 and Thing 2 that they can even stay up and watch part of the first half.  I figure it's been 20 years since Michigan made a final four, we can let them stay up an extra half an hour.  As I write this they are playing Mario (Noah is working on his eye-hand co-ordination!) while I am attempting to track the Louisville v. Wichita game online - what kind of craziness is that?!?!?!

I just pulled tomorrow's food (coffee cake) out of the oven and my entire house smells AMAZING!  Is it breakfast time yet?  Until tomorrow...

But me some peanuts and crackerjacks!


No comments:

Post a Comment