Thursday, September 19, 2013

Butterscotch Bliss - Arg!

 Ahoy, Mateys!

In case you missed the memo, Happy National Talk Like A Pirate Day!  I know we don't usually 'celebrate' this more obsolete holidays (because National food holidays aren't obsolete or anything) but I couldn't resist today.  And neither could Grant, apparently.  His 'what I learned today' at dinner tonight informed us all that this 'holiday' began between two guys, who then contacted columnist Dave Berry about it quite some time ago, who then wrote a column about it and the craze caught on from there.

I too shared a Pirate speaking 'fact' today when I told all of my family what their pirate names would be according to a site I stumbled across via facebook today.  (Thanks Morgan!)  So just in case you were wondering...

Grant: Sharkbait John Ned Head
Kristi: Scallywag Bones Ned Head
Noah: Matey Head Ned Head
Kayla: Deadman George Ned Head

In other news around here today, I had a fantastic MOPS meeting this morning, Grant picked up Kayla from school (who got a positive report from Mrs. Porto today.  Apparently the "if you run inside without permission again Mommy will be picking you up early from school and you won't get to play on the playground with your classmates for a week" threat worked!) and took her to grab some lunch and then met up with some of his co-workers at Heritage Park where they were having a Jazz Fest in the Park lunch.  Is he an awesome Dad or what???  She then proceeded to come home and for the next 30 minutes tell me EVERYTHING that happened at school.  She then got up from her nap and elaborated for another 30 minutes (without repeating herself) and we spent a 25 minute walk together after dinner where she continued to fill me in on the latest with her.  I love her, she makes me laugh, but I'm wondering when I'm going to ever get to talk again!  Oh, and in case you're wondering, today Mikayla learned "That you shouldn't use a bottle cap for a nose. It's just pretend."  This was based on some activity where they 'built' a person at school today from what I gathered.

Noah, on the other hand, is having a tough time adjusting.  He loves school and is doing well. (He can now spell when asked red, yellow, blue and green!)  He's made lots of friends (we're working on setting up some outside of school playdates, too).  He's obviously fond of his teacher (Mrs. Burkmyre is the latest authority on pretty much everything)  All these, wonderful, fabulous, so proud of him.  But he's coming home absolutely exhausted.  And cranky.  And not my fun little boy.  I am trying my best to be patient and remember it's going to take us awhile to adjust.  Not just Noah, but all four of us.  So I cut him some slack during his epic meltdown during dinner about eating beans (normally this would not be an issue with him at all) and basically told him we'll just try again tomorrow to do better.  He's already going to bed at 8, and I hate to make it any earlier, but we'll see what happens.  We'll get there :)

Finally, Happy National Butterscotch Pudding Day.  I decided after making butterscotch pudding from scratch today that while I love cooking/creating/playing in my kitchen, there truly is something to be said for every so often taking the easy way out (ie the instant pudding route)  I swear I stirred without stopping for 30 minutes!  I really must love my family ;-)

Looking forward to Friday!  Mikayla is excited about storytime in the morning and I am excited because tomorrow is Rum Punch day and since my attempts to come up with a 'kid friendly' version of this failed epicly, I created something all on my own.  Excited to try it out on my guinea pigs, hehehe.  Not sure what exactly we're up to over the next few days, but I guarantee it'll be something fun.  Until then...

Happy National Butterscotch Pudding Day!


No comments:

Post a Comment