Saturday, June 29, 2013

A Monster's Orchestra

All week I have been looking forward to today.  Scratch that, I have been looking forward to today since about 8 months ago when Grant and I stumbled across the sneak peek for Monsters University.  We both loved the first movie and have been waiting as patiently as possible for this prequel to make it to the theater.  So much so that we knew it was a movie that we actually wanted to see in the theater with the kids.

So this morning we took advantage of a Saturday morning matinee and took the kiddos to see Monsters University.  I don't want to ruin it for anyone, so I will just say that we all absolutely loved it.  If you liked the first one, I would highly recommend this one. It's a rare thing for both kiddos to make it through an entire movie without at least starting to get the wiggles, but not only did they sit through the previews, the animated short (super cute about a blue umbrella, I so love Pixar!) and the whole movie, we watched the majority of the credits as well.  So glad we went all together :)

Even more, last weekend I had seen that the Michigan Philharmonic Orchestra was going to be giving a free concert in Plymouth (oh how I love Plymouth) at the park downtown tonight.  I knew it was something we'd all enjoy if the weather decided to co-operate.  Noah wasn't quite as taken with it as I'd hoped, but Kayla was captivated.  She really liked watching the conductor.  They did a selection of pieces from the movie "E.T." which she said was her favorite and I told both of them that maybe we'd be seeing if we could find that movie so they could see it.  We didn't make it through the whole concert as it was getting late and a bit chillier than we had hoped, but I was glad that we had gotten a little culture today, too :)

And of course, I didn't forget our celebration.  Today is National Almond Buttercrunch Day.  Never heard of it?  Don't worry, neither had I.  Basically think toffee with almonds.  As expected, it was just given an 'ok' rating around here.  Don't think I'll be rushing off to make this one again and I'm thinking the leftovers are going to work with Grant on Monday, hehehe

Spending tomorrow starting to get our ducks in a row for our big trip to Maryland, I think.  Grant said something about a festival in Livonia, so maybe that as well?  But definitely ice cream sodas!  Until then...

Waiting for Monsters University to start


 Had to memorialize how much we enjoyed the movie somehow

 Almond Buttercrunch


 Michigan Philharmonic Orchestra



Popcorn during the concert

No comments:

Post a Comment