Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Makin' Whoopie (Pies)

 I really want to meet the person or persons responsible for coming up with what foods are celebrated on which days for these national food holidays.  I just want to pick their brain for a bit.  I mean, what would honestly possess someone to make GINGERBREAD the National food on June 5th?  How does that possibly make any sense?  Christmas in June?  Not that gingerbread is even Christmas specific, but definitely fall/winter and not a good food to get into the swing of summer.

But celebrate we did none the less.  And I figured it would make a good Kid Kitchen dish for the week.  But you know me, we couldn't go for the obvious recipe and just make gingerbread cookies.  Nope, we broke out the whoopie pies!

Since Monday I've been telling Noah and Kayla that we were going to be making gingerbread whoopie pies today.  Which has led to both of them yelling 'whoopie!' at random moments.  I will admit that I've never actually made whoopie pies before but I figured it couldn't be that difficult.  (I was fortunately correct in this assumption)  It was a good Kid Kitchen recipe - they especially liked licking the beaters after we made the frosting.  I also let them taste the molasses before we added it (thumbs up from both) as well as the ground ginger (definite pass from both).

The results were a hit.  Perhaps the best part was Mikayla actually yelling 'whoopie' after every bite she took.  Unconventional as I find it, gingerbread consider yourself celebrated.

Otherwise it was a pretty chill day around here.  We're still on a search for a new lighting fixture for over the table in the dining room without much luck.  It's kind of a small room with low ceilings so we are having a hard time agreeing on something.  The search continues.

Also, while I'm thinking about it, want to bring to everyone's attention that Friday is National Donut Day (first Friday of June) and you too can celebrate with us!  Dunkin' Donuts is giving away a free donut with the purchase of any drink and Tim Horton's will give you a free donut if you 'like' their facebook page.  Krispy Kreme too if you happen to have one in the area.  Come on, you know you want to celebrate!!!

Applesauce cake tomorrow.  Until then...


They must love each other


 Pie part ready for the oven

 My house smelled awesome when we pulled these out

 Noah's tower

 Licking the frosting beaters

 Frosting the pies

Gingerbread whoopie pies a la Kid Kitchen

1 comment:

  1. Silly me - I would have never considered whoopie pies made out of gingerbread. I suppose because when I think gingerbread, although I do love the taste, it NEVER makes me think "WHOOPIE"! Now give me a chocolate cookie for the pie and I'll say whoopie all over the place . . . .

    ReplyDelete