Thursday, February 7, 2013

Viva Italiano!

 The conversation at our house tonight before dinner:

Kristi: So tonight it's Fettuccine Alfredo and bread sticks inspired by Olive Garden
Grant: So we're channeling Olive Garden tonight?
Kristi:  Are you kidding me, Olive Garden's got nothing on me!

I think all this cooking is making me cocky ;-)  But it hasn't always been that way.  Tonight's dish gets me thinking about high school.  During my junior high and high school days, believe it or not, I worked at a local Bar and Grille.  I started as a dishwasher and  worked my way up to a line cook for a lack of a better way to say what I did.  But I worked under the watchful eye of Chef Chuck who made the best Fettuccine Alfredo ever.  Hands down.  He tried to teach me a couple of times, but it was always in big batches (for the restaurant) and I have never been able to recreate the decadence of his alfredo sauce.  Wishing I was in Fremont right now to head over to Chud's for a bowl!

But I'm in Farmington so we'll have to settle for my own version of my favorite artery clogging dish.  I'm kind of a purist - heavy cream, butter and parmesan.  A dash of nutmeg and some fresh parsely - no need for anything else.  My kids devoured it.  I don't make it very often (for obvious reasons, lol) but it goes quickly when I do.  Happy Fettuccine Alfredo day, all!

In other news, it hasn't started snowing here yet but they're calling for 5-8 inches.  Noah is seriously hoping this doesn't happen as tomorrow is PJ day at school.  I'm seriously hoping it doesn't happen so I don't have to shovel 8 inches of snow off the driveway tomorrow.  Mikayla says bring on the snow.

Molasses bars tomorrow.  Can't tell you the last time I had molasses in my pantry.  Until then...

*drool*

Who needs Olive Garden?  (Though, have to tell you, Aunt Sarah, when Olive Garden was mentioned earlier Noah wanted to know immediately when we were going to be seeing you, lol!)

1 comment: