Saturday, February 16, 2013

Almond Yummies

 Until I was trying to come up with a title for this post, the thought of making Kristina's famous almond yummies to celebrate today hadn't crossed my mind.  How silly of me!  Though as I said yesterday, I'm trying to avoid 'celebrating' with any desserts for a few days.  Noah and Mikayla are still climbing up the walls with all the sugar.  Regardless..

Happy National Almond Day!

Thing 1 and Thing 2 are kind of picky when it comes to nuts.  It's hard to convince them that there's supposed to be crunch chunks in whatever food I'm trying to sneak them into.  So I decided to try out two new recipes today to see if we could come up with an almond winner.

This morning for breakfast we had Almond Chocolate Banana Oatmeal.  Chalk one up for the almonds - this was a hit all the way around.  Though Noah did say to me "I think this would be better with walnuts, Mom"  I gave him 'the look' with a reminder that today was almond day.  He giggled, I giggled and breakfast disappeared.

For lunch I made some almond chicken puffs.  This one, not so much.  I told the kiddos that they each had to try at least one and if they didn't like them they could finish off the macaroni and cheese from yesterday's lunch.  While the puff disappeared rather quickly, I couldn't convince them to eat another.  The upside - at least the mac and cheese got eaten.  Grant agreed that they were just 'ok' so I don't think we'll be eating almonds this way again.

Keeping this short (and early) today as I am off in a bit to go watch my bro swim.  Go Scott!!  There are three (yes three) food celebrations tomorrow so check back in with us for everything from cabbage to coffee au lait to indian pudding!  Until then...

Thumbs up on the oatmeal

Just a 'meh' on the puffs

1 comment:

  1. Yay for almond yummies--maybe next year! :)

    I can't wait to see what you do with cabbage!

    ReplyDelete