Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Pancake Palooza

 It just so happens that today is International Pancake Day.  I'm not sure if that means that everyone around the world is celebrating pancakes or if we Americans are supposed to celebrate pancakes from around the world.  I decided that we were going to continue exploring our heritage today with a nod to Grant's family background with some Swedish pancakes.

I have to say that I do not get any points for looks today.  While the rapid pace with which they disappeared warms my heart, I do not have much look making decent looking Swedish pancakes.  I have tried making them before and I am just not good at flipping them.  They are much eggier and therefore a little heavier than a crepe, so I get my spatula half way under and it breaks.  If anyone out there has any tips (I finally gave in to the recipe directions and cut them in pieces and then flipped them.) I open to suggestions.  There's so little flour (it's 4 eggs, 2 cups of milk and 1/2 a cup of flour with a big of sugar and salt and melted butter) that the batter is super runny and difficult to work with.  By the time I was finished with almost the whole batch I was mostly getting the hang of it.  Oh well, they all got eaten ;-)

To continue our pancake exploration I also made some latkes (potato pancakes).  Thanks for the subscription to Chop Chop Aunt Vickie - this recipe came from there.  Instead of the usual frying I actually baked these.  Noah especially loved them.  (Last I checked he'd eaten 3)

It's been a great Fat Tuesday around here.  Go Blue tonight!!  Noah's favorite dinner is tomorrow's food so until then...

They might not be pretty, but they're still Swedish pancakes

 I stuffed a few of them with cheese to make them savory

 Baked latke

Plenty of topping items to chose from tonight, yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment