Saturday, October 4, 2014

Simply Saturday

If you saw yesterday's post, you know I had kind of a crummy day.  They happen.  So when Grant offered to take the kiddos out and about for a good chunk of the day today so I could have some quiet I jumped all over it.  It's been quite awhile since I had 4 solid uninterrupted hours to spend how I wanted.  And since it just so happens one of my favorite things to do is play around in my kitchen that's just how I spent a few hours.  I had fun prepping up some lunches for Noah's lunch as it makes me endlessly happy when he tells me that every day when he opens his lunch the other kids want some of whatever he has.  (I adapted some of these recipes to come up with what I'm calling Cheesy Bacon and BiscuitsHam and Cheese Stuffed Mini Biscuits and Pizza Quesadillas)  I also ran some errands, did some laundry, just hung out for the most part.  It was wonderful.  And while I did that, Grant and the kiddos went to Home Depot for their monthly build, checked out the library for a bit, grabbed some lunch and then went and caught a movie.  They made it home just in time for us to head off to Church.  I left mass with a sense of peace and rejuvenation that I haven't had in awhile - thank you God for husbands that always step up (and for kiddos who behaved very well for him while they were out I'm told)

We got home from Church in time for a meal of  New York System Hot Wiener Sauce
Baked Apples and Sweet Potato fries.  The Hot Wiener is a distinct Rhode Island dish where they have whole restaurants devoted to them.  (Gee, sounds like a coney island to this Detroit girl!) Grant loved the sauce and given the amount of spice, I made the kiddos at least try it, but they ate their dogs loaded with ketchup and mustard instead.  And silly me, in the midst of everything, forgot to take a picture!  Grant says he'll attest to their awesomeness if need be.

Right now we're settling in to (hopefully) watch a Michigan victory against Rutgers while we feast on a traditional Rhode Island dessert; Doughboys.  According to my research: "Doughboys are shaped pieces of pizza dough, deep-fried in oil until golden brown, and sprinkled with confectioners sugar while still warm. Doughboys can be found all over Rhode Island and as fried dough at carnivals or Italian concessions in other areas of the country."  I don't care what you call them, my family devoured them.

Alright, I'm off to watch the game and hopefully not be made miserable by the boys in maize and blue yet again this season.  We were going to be heading in different directions tomorrow, but a change in plans means we're all headed to Toledo to celebrate Shell's birthday!  Sounds like fun, so until then...

Rhode Island Fun Fact of the Day:  Most colonists in Rhode Island were farmers. Many owned large plantations along Narragansett Bay where slaves raised crops and cared for cattle. Even though slavery was important to its economy, Rhode Island was the first colony to prohibit the importation of slaves in 1774.

No better way to start a Fall Saturday morning than with my favorite recipe for Apple Cinnamon Waffles

Working hard on Noah's lunches

Did manage to share with the kiddos that their flat selves had been to Newport - thanks Amber!

Frying up some doughboys

num num num


The inside of a tasty doughboy


No comments:

Post a Comment