Sunday, January 5, 2014

Snowed In

In my head all day I've been hearing my Dad say "Blizzard Alert!  Blizzard Alert!"  And I'd say that's pretty accurate.  As I write (at about 7:30pm) we easily have 8 inches on the ground and are expecting to see at least four more before morning.  It has been coming down steadily for most of the day (We woke up to 2-3 inches already on the ground) and now it's supposed to get super cold.  I just saw that the wind chill during the day tomorrow and Tuesday will be -25 with it -40 overnight.  I don't foresee any of us going anywhere anytime soon....  Noah's school is shut down tomorrow and Kayla's is shut down through at least Tuesday already.  Guess it's extended break for the Gatchel crew!

We did put the day to good use, though, as we decided it was time to put away Christmas.  This is one of my least favorite things to do as it's first of all just not that much fun, but on top of it it makes me sad.  Christmas is so short (despite what corporate America wants us to think by starting to put out Christmas stuff in September) and goes by faster each year.

We also put the snow to use this evening and made snow ice cream!  I'd never tried (or even heard) of this before so had to give it a go when a friend posted it (with a direct tag to me) on Facebook the other day.  (Hmmm, do my friends know me or what??)  It was fun and the kids enjoyed the process and the results.

Excited about tomorrow and our official State Project kick-off.  With the kiddos being home I found an awesome Alabama activity for us to do tomorrow and can't wait to try it out and share it with everyone.  We'll also be putting up for first State Wall and we're going to have an Alabama meal for dinner tomorrow night.  We're thinking Grant's going to be with us for the day as I don't think we're going to be able to get his car out (or my car out for that matter.)

Hope you're cozy and warm whenever you might be this snowy evening.  Until tomorrow...


 Watching Daddy get our snow for the ice cream

 Snow, sugar, vanilla and milk, yep really that simple

 Looks like mashed potatoes, tastes like ice cream!

Cheering on the Packers with some ice cream

Deconstructing Christmas


The kids took all the ornaments off the tree and lined them up for us

Noah's favorite part - running the vacuum!

We found one of our old cameras and let him go to town 

I think we have a budding photographer

No comments:

Post a Comment