Friday, January 17, 2014

Baked Alaska

Mother Nature decided that she'd like to get in on the Alaskan celebration this week and dumped about two inches of snow on us yesterday afternoon and overnight.  Just enough to make things a little messy and require it to be shoveled off the drive, of course.

Fortunately, I didn't have any set plans for the day so the Bean and I headed out to play in the snow for awhile this morning after we'd taken Noah to the bus.  She was so excited to actually get to enjoy the snow this time.  We came inside to warm up and decided we needed hot chocolate and coffee, so we packed up a bag of books and headed to Starbucks for some Mommy and Mikayla storytime.  It was the best just to sit and cuddle together.

Then she decided we needed to go back outside and play in the snow, followed by some squid dogs for lunch and then puzzle making.  As I put her down for a snooze, she looked at me and said "Mommy, this was the best morning ever!"  Oh she makes me smile.  I had pretty good morning too, Bean ;-)

I think that it's safe to say that my family has been looking forward to tonight for weeks.  If you followed my little blog last year, you might remember this.  Grant has been asking when I was going to recreate the masterpiece and of course, how could I not this week?  So Baked Alaska it was here tonight!

Pretty low key weekend we're thinking, other than Mom and Dad coming in on Sunday to finish up the bathroom.  The kiddos are off school on Monday and we're looking forward to starting Arizona then!  Grant and I both have family there who have sent packages so I can hardly wait!  Hoping to get ahead on a few more states and a continued leg up on the Olympics tomorrow, but I've got a few projects of my own that I have been putting off for ages that it might be nice to actually do :)  So until then...

Alaska Fun Fact of the Day:  The state of Rhode Island could fit into Alaska 425 times.
She says she's "Working" and can't be disturbed, cracks me up

 Mikayla and Mommy's idea of a perfect snowy morning

 Selfies with my baby


 Ready to go brave her own Alaskan tundra in Michigan


 Squid dogs!

 Um, have I mentioned lately that I am nuts about this little girl?

 The insides

 Covered with 'snow' 

 Baked Alaskan perfection!

I did it!! Cake, ice cream, meringue under the broiler - success!

No comments:

Post a Comment