Friday, January 24, 2014

Paint, Play, Cacti, Cold

Dear Polar Vortex - go away!  I have come to grips with the fact that I live in Michigan and it is cold and snows in the winter.  I would gladly accept the fact that my kiddos miss a few days of school for snow.  But because it's bitterly cold, not so much.  As I type this the wind is absolutely howling, with gusts up to 50 miles an hour here today.  Needless to say, the school system was shot down today, as was a whole lot I learned when we ventured out this morning.  It was like driving through a ghost town almost, very eerie at 10am on a Friday morning.

We did our best to combat the cold by bringing some Arizona plant life into the house by planting our cactus.  Our friends the Janoch's came over for some play time and lunch today and helped us get our cactus seeds settled and ready for sprouting.  The package says we should be seeing some budding in about 15 days, though if desire and determination have anything to do with, Noah may have them here in half that time.

We also wrote and mailed our postcards to everyone in Arizona.  Hopefully they'll enjoy getting mail from the kiddos as much as the kiddos enjoyed getting mail from them.  And if I haven't mentioned it lately - super kudos and thanks again to my amazing better half for his design work on them :)

I made Arizona Chicken for dinner tonight along with a side of Mexican fried corn.  I have to admit that the ingredient list wasn't something that totally screamed Arizona to me (green olives and mushrooms?) but everyone here seemed to enjoy it.

Cutting this a bit short tonight as I wanted to get it posted before I went off to tackle my big project for the weekend - painting the bathroom!  The kiddos helped me pick a color this morning, I got it taped off this afternoon and am hoping to get the first coat on it here tonight.  If we get the second coat on tomorrow there is a possibility we might actually be able to get the new potty and vanity installed on Sunday.  Wouldn't that just be amazing??  More tomorrow.  Until then...

Arizona Fun Fact of the Day:   The world's largest solar telescope is located at Kitts Peak National Observatory in the city of Sells.

 Signing their postcards


 Valentine's have been purchased - Princesses for the Bean, Hot Wheels for Noah

 The planted cactus

 There's tape, paint soon enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment