Monday, January 27, 2014

Feeling Natural in Arkansas

Adios Arizona, hello Arkansas!  We're traveling to the Natural State this week to learn about everything from the state bird (Mockingbird) to the state tree (Loblolly Pine) to the state flower (Appleblossom) to why the state flag has a diamond on it.  I'll admit my knowledge of Arkansas was sadly lacking before this so I've found my research to be quite interesting - turning up all kinds of things from Bathhouse Row to the fact you can mine for your own diamonds at Crater State Park.

We started the week with an Arkansas meal, as well.  My cool cookbook turned up a recipe for an Arkansas Traveler.  It also gave a bit of background information; "The term Arkansas Traveler can refer to many different things, including a newspaper, minor league baseball team, a tomato breed, and a racehorse, as well as bikes, wagons, boats and an airplane service!  Bill Clinton's Arkansas friends who campaigned for him during his presidential campaigns were dubbed the same."  Everyone here loved them.  For dessert we had Possum Pie, a traditional Arkansas dish.  The kids were both really glad to find out there wasn't actually any possum in it...

We got our wall all put up and my little sponges soaked up all the Arkansas facts I gave them.  Noah loves all the pictures of the caverns - I think I may have a spelunker on my hands if he ever gets the chance.  Mikayla, on the other hand, has decided she wants to visit Arkansas as soon as possible - to mine for diamonds and listen to Johnny Cash who she told me "plays the best Arkansas music!" (Cash was born in Arkansas)

In unrelated Arkansas news, the bathroom (inevitably) has hit a couple of snags.  We're still working on it, though!  I am determined to have a working potty as soon as possible.  Also, if you're up on the drama of the Beechview PTA Directory you will be thrilled to hear that it is finished, it went home this afternoon and I am completely washing my hands of it!  OK, so not the last thing, but it is done!  What a relief to move on past that.

FPS and OLS have already both announced that there will be no school tomorrow.  Gee, thanks for that, Mother Nature.  Not sure what we'll be up to, but I have no doubt it will be jam packed and fun filled.  Tomorrow night when Grant makes it home we're going to be making edible diamonds!  So until then...

Arkansas Fun Fact of the Day:  47 hot springs flow from the southwestern slope of Hot Springs Mountain, at an average temperature of 143 F.

So we hit a snag with the toilet instillation...

 But all the pieces are ready when we get it figured out!

 Noah got his first official homework assignment tonight and he sat down and finished it as soon as he got home from school, though it's not due 'til Friday.  He is so my kid


 An Arkansas Traveler

 Possum Pie (Grant says it reminds him of chocolate cheesecake if that gives you any ideas)

 Assembling the wall and learning a ton

The whole Arkansas Wall

No comments:

Post a Comment