Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Rice to Know Ya!

They're home.  Again.  Even though FPS posted around 5:30 last night that there would be school, shortly after 11pm a notice came across that one more time they'd be closing down school today.  This is the last one, right?  I mean, I love them and I really do enjoy having Noah around, but I miss the routine!  (And their behavior is letting me know so do they)  Plus, I would give thanks for a snow day at this point, but I'm super over the cold.  They will be back tomorrow.  Right?  Anyone?  Please?

But we made the best of it none the less.  This morning we made diamond bracelets.  (OK, so not really, but it came from a packet with 'diamond' gems)  We again talked about how you can mine for your own diamonds in Arkansas and Mikayla assured me yet again that she really wants to go to Arkansas so she can find some diamonds.  A quick trip to the library, then we were back here for Noah to start working on addressing his Valentine's for school and Kayla to get some playtime in.  Noah has to address and sign all his own Valentine's this year to practice his writing skills.  The kid is getting so big.  Then I surprised them with lunch at McD's with Daddy!  See I knew we could survive another snow day :)

For dinner tonight I made Rice Dressing in honor of Arkansas.  Did you know Arkansas accounts for 49% of the rice production in the nation?  I sure didn't!  For all kinds of information on rice in Arkansas, check it out here.  And if you're thinking of trying out the recipe, I ended up adding shredded chicken to make it a more complete meal and used fresh mushrooms (sauteed with the onion and celery) in place of the canned.  It went over pretty well here.

After dinner, I whipped up some Southern Chocolate Gravy and biscuits, a dish which is said to have origins in Arkansas.  While I worked on that, the kiddos and Grant got the lettering done for our "We've been there" state.  I think the dessert was a bigger hit than the lettering ;-)  They're now snuggly tucked into bed with visions of school dancing through their heads.  I hope.

More progress on the bathroom.  Check it out in the pictures.  We're getting there!

School for sure tomorrow and going to try our hand at some fried pickles tomorrow night.  Should be an interesting day.  Until then...

Arkansas Fun Fact of the Day:  Since the 1830s the area now known as Hot Springs National Park has bathed notables as diverse as Franklin D. Roosevelt, Babe Ruth, and Al Capone. The park is entirely surrounded by the city of Hot Springs, the boyhood home of President Bill Clinton.

The makings for our diamond bracelets

 Hard at work


 Noah's diamonds

 Kayla's diamonds

 Noah got started on addressing his Valentine's for all his classmates today


 We have a faucet!

 Rice Dressing

Biscuits with Chocolate Gravy
No Gatchel's have been to Arkansas!


No comments:

Post a Comment