Saturday, August 10, 2013

S'mores and Splits

I don't think it is possible for a day that celebrates both the Banana Split and S'mores to possibly be bad.  I mean, hello!  Plus I got an awesome treat from my boss, the sun was shining, the Tigers won and we got to play whiffle ball.  Sounds good to me.

I was up bright and early to head to the Edible Arrangements store downtown.  I had gotten a call yesterday to tell me that someone had sent me a treat.  They were unable to deliver it when we were going to be home last night, so I went over there and picked it up before anyone else was up and moving in my house this morning.  Many thanks to my boss, Ketra, for the fabulous treat!  It's currently almost 9pm here and I'd say my family has already managed to devour about 3/4 of all the fruit today.  There may be a few pieces of watermelon and a couple chocolate covered strawberries left but that's about it.  Noah and Kayla loved eating the fruit off the skewers...

I got home to start the morning with a breakfast version of a banana split.  Thing 1 and Thing 2 adored the fact that I let them have whipped cream, chocolate sauce and a cherry for breakfast.  It was mostly healthy, though, I swear!  A banana, appropriately split, with three different types of yogurt (couldn't find chocolate, did vanilla, strawberry and black forest cake instead) then just topped like a regular sundae.  Yum!

Then Grant and the kids headed to Lowe's to make Dusty Crophopper for the new movie Planes.  We usually do the Home Depot build and this was their first Lowe's build (because you actually have to register for it and every time we've looked in the past it has been filled up already.  In fact, they had to drive to a Lowe's about 25 minutes away as it was this morning) and they really enjoyed themselves.  I love the planes they made.

Then Grant and I decided if we were going to have s'mores we should do them the right way - over open coals.  So we packed up stuff for a BBQ and headed to the Castle park in Northville.  What a great day for it!  We got in some batting practice, played on the playground, ate some dinner and then explored the Mill Race Village that is next to the park.  It is a Mill town set up to resemble how it was in the late 19th century.  The kids really enjoyed looking at the buildings and Noah wants to go back after (and I quote this from him) "you do some research, Mom, so you can tell us all about these buildings and what they did."  I'll get right on it!

Heading to a sweet corn festival in the morning, finishing the grout and some yard work in the afternoon and squeezing Raspberry tarts in there somewhere.  Until then...


Banana Splits a la breakfast


 My awesome treat from Ketra


 Mikayla chowing down on some kiwi

 Back from their first Lowe's build

 Dusty Crophopper!

 And Noah Gatchel stands in for the first pitch...

 Mommy pitching, Kayla batting and Noah catching

 Ready for some BBQ

 Oh my gosh, she looks about 12 in this picture

 Roasting marshmallows for s'mores

 Noah managed to polish off 2 whole s'mores

And Kayla got through one, though Grant claims she wore about 2/3 of it

1 comment:

  1. Corn on the cob festival?!? Eat two ears for me. And kudos to Mikayla who is batting left-handed!! Go Noah - LOVE your shirt - you look like a pro!

    ReplyDelete