Thursday, July 25, 2013

Fudging the Details

Happy Birthday, Papa Larry!  July 25th, while also National Hot Fudge Sundae Day, is more importantly my very awesome Dad's birthday.  We celebrated with him and Mom when they were here on Saturday, but we did manage to get a phone call into him this morning where the kids sang him Happy Birthday.  I was so proud of them both and I have no doubt it brought a smile to the face of the best Papa I know.  Hope that he had a wonderful day (I hear that he got a bike!) in the 'Mont.  Too bad those silly Tigers couldn't come through with a win for him today...  (Justin Verlander, grumble grumble grumble...)

Sadly, today was the last pavilion story time this summer.  Noah and Kayla talk about it all year long so I'm really glad we made to all of them the past couple of months.  Even better, this morning some of the ladies and their kiddos from my MOPS group again joined us.  Oh how I treasure adult conversation!  And between my meeting last night and then story time this morning I'm feeling renewed and refreshed in that department.  As much as I enjoy my Littles and being "the Mom" it is nice to have a five minute conversation that doesn't consist of every other question being 'why' sometimes.  Plus, especially with the other moms, it is nice to be able to vent about the mundane with others I know will understand.

And speaking of my meeting, it went smashingly last night.  The bad news (though good news for him) is that the person that was elected to serve as co-secretary with me bought a new house and it is out of the Beechview district so he will not be able to be on the Board.  And of course this happened hours before our meeting last night.  So it looks like I'm going to be flying solo this year as the sole Secretary!  I'm excited, though admittedly a bit overwhelmed.  I'm going to take the next few days to step back, take a deep breath, and get organized then jump in with both feet.   You know me, there will be no half-assed effort on this, in for a penny, in for a pound!  Wish me luck :)

As I mentioned at the beginning of my post, it's National Hot Fudge Sundae Day (yes, another ice cream related celebration this month) and I have to admit, us Gatchel's are starting to wear a little thin on all the ice cream.   So I looked for something a little different today and stumbled across a hot fudge sundae cookie!  It has all the components of a hot fudge sundae - ice cream, hot fudge sauce (which I made from scratch), sprinkles, whipped cream, even a cherry on top! but in cookie form.  I've seen recipes for it before, but I've never actually made a cookie with ice cream in the batter so this was kind of fun.  Plus I made up the hot fudge sauce yesterday and froze it in little balls of hot fudge that were then stuffed into the cookie dough before it was baked.  Kind of cool.  And a huge hit.  Grant especially said they were one of the best cookies he's ever had.  Hot Fudge Sundae, consider yourself celebrated!

Think we're going kind of low key around here tomorrow, though we are checking out a family fun fest/concert in Novi tomorrow night, we think.  And coffee milkshakes, yum!  Until then...

The bean ready for story time

 Noah playing with the sticky ball game


 Tinkerbell dropped by for a visit this afternoon

 As did a cape clad, sunglass wearing pirate

Hot Fudge Sundae Cookie

No comments:

Post a Comment