Thursday, May 30, 2013

Well I Nev-ah!

Do you sense the air of Southern hospitality lurking today?  Must be because it's National Mint Julep Day :)  My thoughts have been coming across with a strong southern drawl all day and I have the strange desire to watch a horse race.  I did make non-alcoholic mint juleps today so everyone could partake and I think the kids favorite part was eating the mint sprig I garnished the glasses with.  Some days, I tell ya.

The highlight of the day for the kids and I was our annual trek to the paint your own pottery place to make Grant's Father's Day gift.  Every year since Kayla was born (we did her feet the first year!) we've painted a coffee mug for Grant.  As the calendar keeps reminding me Father's Day will be here before we know it and the pottery takes a week to fire after we actually paint it, I knew we'd have to get on it here soon.  I took them back to the same place we went last year and we had a blast.  It was so much fun to just let them go to town on it by themselves.  I was in charge of dispensing paint, but otherwise they were on their own.  They each painted half of the mug and I can't wait to pick up the finished project next week.

Almost as much fun was our trip there and back.  We love heading towards downtown (the pottery place is in downtown Royal Oak) on 696 and going through the 'tunnels'.  It made me think of when I was little and you actually had to go to the underground tunnels to get to the zoo.  Or when you drive through all the tunnels in downtown Chicago.  We made appropriate sound effects and they asked if we could get off, turn around and do it again.  I told them we'd have to go back next week to pick up the pottery, so we'd do it again soon.

I just got home from the Dads and Dogs event for the PTA at Beechview.  The flow of people seemed steady for the hour and a half I was there so hopefully the PTA will have raised a good bit of money.

Macroons tomorrow.  And hopefully the Spray Park for the first trip of the season if the weather co-operates.  Until then...

I finished the other project I was working on for Noah's room - a hide-out for him too!  It's hard to see but the fabric is actually flames :)


 They were snacking and hiding from me this morning

 Ready to paint



 All finished, ready for the kiln

Mint Julep

No comments:

Post a Comment