Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Apple Jack of A Day

When the kids were little I feared days where we did not leave the house.  (OK, in reality this might have been last week that I still feared this, but humor me)  I thought it was necessary to have some plan of action for every single second of every single day.  And while I don't think I'll ever really 'get over' my need for a plan of some kind and organization I'd like to think that I've relaxed considerably on this front.

Take today for example.  I knew at some point we wanted to do Kid Kitchen but really didn't have any other thoughts on the day.  Because of that we had a Hide and Seek Marathon after breakfast, a walk in the glorious sunshine complete with bubbles(!), two great Kid Kitchen creations, a pillow fight and a chill lunch of popcorn, string cheese, jello with fruit and Sesame Street as a treat.  It was awesome!  As a bonus I got the laundry done, we had no fights all day and I made the most delicious Coq Au Vin Blanc while two very exhausted kiddos napped.  We even got a bike ride for Noah in after dinner (he'd been asking all day), he and I took a quick trip to Target to get plastic sleeves and a binder for his baseball cards and now we're all munching on our Kid Kitchen creations and watching the Tigers take on the Pirates (Mikayla is signing "The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything Song" every time they say 'pirate' on TV...)

I'll let the pictures speak for themselves about our Kid Kitchen creation, but it was a salute to Apple Jacks today.  The kids claim (though this changes on a weekly basis) that this is their favorite cereal so I found a couple of fun recipes to use them in.

Happy National Coq Au Vin Day!  I finally got to try my hand at the classic French dish and it turned out fabulous!  My house still smells wonderful.  Noah said it was the best chicken he'd ever had and Grant said it was a definite make again.  Excellent!

Speaking of excellent, I think that God is continuing to subtly (or perhaps it is Him bopping me across the head with it and I only see it as subtle, lol) nudging me to expand my kid culinary time.  Noah got a great note from his Pre-School teacher assistant thanking him for the gifts he gave her at graduation.  In the note, she included a note to me saying that she really thought I should consider opening a camp or class for kids teaching them about cooking because she was so impressed with Noah's enthusiasm and skills.  She said she even wanted to come that it sounded like so much fun!  OK, so someone that works with my target age group for a living is encouraging me, perhaps this is worth another look.  Prayers for guidance would be much appreciated.

Art project out of the house tomorrow (shhh, it's a secret!) and Mint Juleps!  Plus Dads and Dogs to support the Beechview PTA - my first official act as a Board Member!  Until then...

Ready for Kid Kitchen


 We had to make popcorn for one recipe - they both LOVED this

 Proud of their popcorn

 Crushing the Apple Jacks


 Noah and his mixer skills

 Ready to stir up the cookies

 Loading them in the oven

 Apple Jack cookies

 Stirring up the mix for the Caramel Apple Cereal Mix


 Stirring the caramel sauce (we even made up a song about not stopping stirring!) 

 Candy Apple Cereal Mix

 Coq Au Vin Blanc


A shoe tying lesson

No comments:

Post a Comment