Sunday, September 21, 2014

Life Is A Highway

I know inquiring minds want to know, so for the record all four kids were in bed by 8:15 last night - the boys in Noah's room and the girls in the Bean's.  The boys were out for the night about 9:30ish, but I had to go in and split up the girls for awhile around 10:30.  When the Bean realized I wasn't kidding about having her sleep on the futon in the library if we had any more issues, both girls agreed to stop the chatter if I gave them one more chance.  I am pleased to say that everyone here behaved and by 11:30 the house was quiet for the night.  Success!

So given they were up a little late I was prepared to deal with a few cranky kiddos today.  But for the most part they've been good.  We kept them busy this morning with a build-your-own waffle bar (because I felt it necessary to start the day off with sugar :-p), some playtime and then managed to get everyone dressed, cleaned-up and ready for Church.  We swung home for a quick lunch and then it was off to walk on the highway!

Yep, you read that right.  It's been under construction for MONTHS and today about a 2 mile section of I-96 was open not too far from us and you could actually go and walk, ride bikes, scooters, skateboards - pretty much anything non-motorized! on the highway.  I can't believe how many people there were - it was CRAZY!  We fortunately headed over there early and (mostly) beat the rain.  But what an experience! My two and D made the trek with me, and Grant and A watched from one of the overpasses (we had to park a ways away and it was a long walk for little legs)  The kids were excited and I think it's pretty fair to say we wore them out.  I sprang for Slurpees on the way home, but 3 out of 4 kids passed out at different times before we pulled into the driveway.  I'd say (hopefully) that they'll all sleep well tonight :-p  We were glad to play host to D & A this weekend and honestly, all four deserve major kudos.  Speaking of kudos - Grant is a rock star.  There is no way that I could have made it through the weekend without him.  He was patient, observant, helpful and an all around good Dad this weekend.

We sat down to one last foray into Oregon with Oregon Griddle Cakes and another Ore-Ida recipe for Hash Brown Potato Pie.  The entire batch of griddle cakes - gone.  We give the kiddos 45 minutes to eat their dinner usually and in that 45 minutes dinner and dessert were eaten, the kitchen was cleaned and lunches for both my guys were packed for tomorrow.  This honestly may be some kind of record around here.  Grant suggested I contact IHOP with this recipe and some of the other state related breakfasts for dinner that we've done and float an idea for a "state themed" special menu to them.  Hey IHOP - are ya reading my blog?  (Remember in Florida when JoAnn Fabrics was??) 

Tomorrow we officially kick off Pennsylvania but not sure how much we're going to get to as Noah has religious ed (5:15-6:30 - have I mentioned enough times yet that this slightly irks me??) and on top of it I have my first PTA meeting of the year at 7.  So different directions for all the Gatchel's again.  *sigh*  I'm going to try to be happy that we are able to do all these things instead of bummed for missing some family time for it.  Anyway, be here tomorrow to kick off the Keystone State (three words - chocolate, ketchup and crayons) and whatever else it may bring.  So until then...

Oregon Fun Fact of the Day:  Discovered in 1874 the caves located in Oregon Caves National Monument are carved within solid marble


The options for waffle toppings this morning

Breakfast time!

Noah chowing down

Coloring time

Bella cuddles before Church

The entrance to 96

A few people taking a walk

Or riding a bike

So we decided to as well

I held my camera up and got this picture

Grant and A from up above

There were emergency vehicles parked up and down the road

Of course had to sit on the berm


Orange barrels - the perfect Michigan symbol


Slurpee break!

Hash Brown Pie

Oregon Griddle Cakes

Breakfast for dinner at the Gatchel's


No comments:

Post a Comment