Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Just Corny

Let this be a lesson to me - do not dismiss itchy feet!  Our trip to Urgent Care last night confirmed that Noah is (and probably has been) battling a case of hand, foot, mouth disease.  The kiddo hasn't run a fever at any point, but the sudden appearance (and quick spread of!) the rash was enough to make me glad we got him checked out last night.  The doc advised no school today and a follow up with our pediatrician, so that's what we did.  Pediatrician confirmed but said that as long as my six year old wonderkid continues not to run a fever and he's comfortable enough (he basically has blisters in his throat) he can go to school.  As of right now he hasn't hinted of any pain and I even offered him some tylenol for his throat and he said 'nah, I'm good.'  So I think it's safe to say he will be back at school tomorrow.  Unfortunately, as I type I'm thinking we may be down a Bean.  Who will be absolutely crushed because the birthday party she has been looking forward to for weeks is tomorrow.  Oh the joys of being a Mama..

But first today!  Kayla had school this morning and like I said I got Noah into the pediatrician.  He also finished his wind chimes (without any fight and exactly how he wanted to be) this morning.  When she got home from school the Bean helped me make some Cornbread Chex Party Mix.  As I mentioned yesterday, cornbread is part of the official state meal of Oklahoma and when I came across this recipe I couldn't wait to try it.  I am not kidding - it tastes like crunchy cornbread!  (I may have snaked on handfuls when no one was looking, shh,,,,)  I love all the different innovative chex mix recipes they have now and this one is definitely a keeper!  Thing 1 and Thing 2 worked together (I tried at first to keep them away from each other, but quickly figured if Kayla hasn't already got it, she's probably going to and it was most likely a lost cause) on the "We've Been There" state.   No Garchel's have gone to OK, but as Noah was flipping through the travel guide he kept saying "wow, this is cool, I really want to go there."  So who knows!

We had lots of rain and severe weather roll through all afternoon and into the evening so I've spent a good chunk of the day keeping my fingers crossed that we wouldn't lose power.  Though the rain did lend to a great afternoon for a mandatory nap session for everyone here.  Yep, even the Mama.  And because neither one was feeling 100% and because they'd been pretty good (all things considered) this morning I let them chill with a movie later this afternoon before Grant came home.  

For dinner tonight I got in another component of the state meal (squash) with this recipe for Summer Squash Saute.  It was easy and full of pretty colors and went great with Migas, My Way.  I know, I know, what the heck is migas??  Well I'm so glad you asked!  According to wiki: In Tex-Mex cuisine, migas is a traditional breakfast dish consisting of scrambled eggs mixed with strips of corn tortilla, diced onions, sliced chile peppers, diced fresh tomatoes, and cheese, plus various spices and condiments (e.g.salsa or pico de gallo).  Sounded to me like an easy dish for the win with my crew!  I made some cheese quesadillas  to go with them - voila!  And to sneak one more Oklahoma recipe in tonight, I found this copycat recipe for Sonic Cherry Limeade that we had to try.  

Going to have to kind of play tomorrow (like today) by ear since I'm not sure how many kiddos I'm going to have.  But, if things go according to Hoyle (or according to Mama Gatchel), Noah will be at school, Kayla and I have a birthday party and then I have a PTA Board meeting and then tomorrow night is Curriculum Night at Beechview.  Oh boy!  So here's hoping for power and healthy kids!  Until then...

Oklahoma Fun Fact of the Day:  A statue entitled "Hopes and Dreams," in downtown Perry was created by local sculptor Bill Bennett and placed there on a massive granite pedestal as a Cherokee Strip Centennial memorial. The statue portrays an early-day couple coming to the newly opened western frontier.

Ready to Kid Kitchen after school


Cornbread Chex Mix in a few easy steps thanks to the Bean


In the meantime, Noah finished his wind chime

Blue and Orange - go Tigers!

He can't be feeling too badly if he wanted to do this

Back to the chex mis

Ta Da!

Grant and I both can't stop eating this - if you like cornbread check out this recipe for sure

Working on the We've Been There State



Summer Squash Saute - got thumbs up across the board

Migas!  Everyone here really liked this - especially Grant.  He said I can make this any time

What a pretty dinner

With Cherry Limeade for a sweet treat

No comments:

Post a Comment