Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Scraped Together

Alright - show of hands?  Who knew what the mystery item on yesterday's blog was?  Anyone?  Beuhler?

It was tonight's dinner, of course!  And if you've followed along with us before you might remember when I made something similar here.  That's right, scrapple returns!  But not just any scrapple - apple scrapple!  In Delaware Apple Scrapple is such a big deal they even have a festival in its honor.  Well we couldn't pass up trying out a recipe that was so important to Delaware so Apple Scrapple it was!  This was one much moister (and everyone seemed to enjoy a bit more) than the scrapple we made before.  Needless to say, I don't think it's going to be an often repeated recipe at the Gatchel's, we'll leave it to the people of Delaware to enjoy.

But we did enjoy their Delaware Applesauce Cookies.  Mikayla helped me whip up a batch of these this morning.  The recipe says that "According to "legend," this recipe originally came from a box of Bisquick and was handed down through a Delaware family."  The thing I loved about them that using baking mix in a cookie made for one poofy cookie.  They reminded me a lot of an oatmeal cookie without the oats.  Unlike the apple scrapple, I don't think we'll have a hard time making these disappear.

This morning I had the chance to hang out with my friend, Tess, while Kayla and Alexis played.  It was a great reminder of how truly blessed I am when it comes to friendship.  Coffee, reminiscing, just hanging - what a great morning!  I'm thinking I need to find a way to work some more of these laid back mornings into my very hectic routine.

Speaking of hectic, I'm cutting this short tonight as I just made it back from this month's PTA meeting and I have a couple other things to tackle yet.  While I was gone Grant and the kiddos did do our VERY TINY "We've Been There" state.  No Gatchel's have been to Delaware, how sad!  I told the kiddos last night that we needed to go and make sand castles some day, they are totally on board.

Lots of odds and ends tomorrow.  Still hoping for some Delaware mail at some point.  So until then...

Delaware Fun Fact of the DayTradition holds the first time Betsy Ross's famous flag was flown was at the Battle of Cooch's Bridge. This historic site is located on route 4 in Newark.

Ariel came to help me make cookies



She added each of the raisins one by one

The face of determination (She had her tongue sticking out half a second before I snapped this)

Ready for the oven

Beautiful!

Grant said he would describe them like a cinnamon pancake in cookie form

Fryin' up some apple scrapple

The duo shows off Delaware


No comments:

Post a Comment