Sunday, February 23, 2014

Closing it Out

And so all good things must come to an end - including Connecticut week and the 2014 Gatchel Winter Olympics.  Not sure which I'm more sad to see go at this point, honestly.  It has been a really great week around here.

In case you're curious, here's where the final medal count stands:

Mikayla:  2 G, 3 S, 6 B
Noah: 6 G, 3 S, 3 B
Kristi: 4 G, 4 S, 2 B
Grant: 3 G, 5 S, 3 B


They are already asking when we're doing it again - think the 2014 Gatchel Winter Olympics were a hit!  Noah's favorite event was the biathlon, Kayla's the white scavenger hunt, Grant's the snowball spoon race and I loved the snowflakes they all made the other night.

The duo fortunately passed their Connecticut quiz with flying colors (Noah can even still name for me the capitals of most of the states we have already done as extra bonus points) so this morning we headed off to the dollar theater in Warren to see "Walking with Dinosaurs"  As Grant put it "CGI has come a long way since Jurassic Park."  I ended up with the Bean (who was a bit spooked) cuddled up on my lap most of the movie, so it was all good with me.

Tonight has been all about celebrating our Olympics (everyone's been parading around wearing all of their medals, it cracks me up) and getting ready for the NEXT Olympics.  We decided to celebrate South Korea, where the 2018 games will be held, with some traditional cuisine.

I made Bulgogi, which is Korean Barbecue Beef for dinner tonight and served it over hot rice.  I wasn't too sure how well this would go over, but like usual my crew surprised me and chowed down!  And you know me, no meal is complete without dessert, so while we have on the "Go for the Gold" Olympics review show tonight (stupid NBC not showing the actual closing ceremonies until 8:30 - grrrrr!) we're having Sweet Potato Mat Tang.

Busy week around here like usual - looking forward to starting Delaware tomorrow (even though as I'll fill you in on tomorrow, it was a bit of a challenge at times) and getting a bit more back to normal after the craziness of the past couple of weeks.  So until then...

Connecticut Fun Fact of the Day:  The first lollipop-making machine opened for business in New Haven in 1908. George Smith named the treat after a popular racehorse.

Ready for the movies


All decked out in her medals

Trying to get her practicing her bow and arrow on the sly

Love this pic - note the tongue sticking out

 Bulgogi

Sweet Potato MatTang

No comments:

Post a Comment