Thursday, February 6, 2014

California on A Roll

I am like a kid the night before Christmas today as I am so excited about the Opening Ceremonies for the Olympics tomorrow!  I'm excited for our ceremony, our Russian meal I have been planning and even more so for the Games to kick off in Sochi!  I spent some time last night prepping for some of our events, you'll have to check it out below in the pictures.  I'm also including some pictures of the flags that others have sent for us to hang tomorrow night.  We are thrilled that some of our family will be here in spirit celebrating the Games with us even if they won't be here physically.  My thanks to them for playing along.

My favorite twosome worked on coloring their California map when Noah got home from school today.  The things they remember and absorb, I tell ya!  Oh, which reminds me, funniest thing today; I asked Kayla where her computer was at after lunch so she could play with it.  She said she didn't know and I told her to go look for it.  She disappears into the playroom and all of a sudden I hear "Eureka!" and she comes running in ad announces "Eureka!  Look, Mama, I found it, Eureka!"  Oh how I love my little sponges.

I have been looking forward to tonight's dinner since I started my menu planning a few weeks ago as it something that shouts California to me.  When I think California cuisines, thoughts of sushi, tofu, citrus and wine pop into my head first.  So I decided to introduce the kiddos to sushi for the very first time!  We played it safe and stuck with California Rolls this time.  (And I will confess, I did not make these myself.  There are some things that are better left to the professionals in my opinion.)  I also got some basic maki rolls with carrots, avocados and mangos for them to try.

At the moment they are off at musical storytime while I finish final prep work for tomorrow's big night.  Ah, so excited!  Going to get back to it, so until tomorrow...

California Fun Fact of the Day:  The highest and lowest points in the continental United States are within 100 miles of one another. Mount Whitney measures 14,495 feet and Bad Water in Death Valley is 282 feet below sea level.

The pieces for "Indoor Snowman Building" for Monday

Snowball ring toss

Mikayla's class picture came today

Grammy Caren and Papa Tom's flag

Aunt Sarah's flag

Grandma's flag

Grandpa Gary's flag

Noah's California - he says to tell you all that the blue is the Pacific ocean, and the red line is the San Andres fault (and yes, he gave their proper names)

Mikayla's explanation; Mickey Mouse lives here

California Rolls

Veggie Rolls

Meet our Olympic mascot - Super Olympic!

This is his logo (I know it's hard to see but the explanation is that it is a swoosh like the Nike logo, as Nike is the Greek god of victory - Thanks to Grant for helping Noah with the research on that one!)

No comments:

Post a Comment