Tuesday, February 25, 2014

The Sands of Time

Delayed start days are just weird.  It feels like half the day should already be over by the time I drop off Noah to get on the bus even though it's really just starting. Today we got the Bean off to school, Noah and I walked to the bus stop and then 20 minutes later I headed over to Beechview to spend the rest of my morning helping out in Noah's class.  I felt so discombobulated by the time the Bean and I made it home by noon, but I wouldn't have changed a second of it.  I so enjoyed going in to Noah's class today. His teacher had let me know last night that we would be working in the computer lab.  So I got there only to find out that the computer instructor was out and that it would be his teacher and I with 26 computer using 5 and 6 year olds trying to learn and write a report on an animal.  What could (probably should) have been pure chaos was actually a lot of fun and I think the kids are really warming up to me being around.  There was plenty of "Mrs. Gatchel!  Mrs. Gatchel! I need.." going around which made me smile.  I don't think I even spent any time helping Noah who breezed through the computer exercises, thanks to his Daddy who has been working with him on logging on to the school educational sites!  It also reaffirmed my appreciation for teachers and what they do.  Just dealing with that many kids who have such a different operating level on something as simple as turning on and logging into a computer is a feat!  I'm back again next Tuesday and can't wait!

I made it home in time to prep tomorrow's dinner (that's a hint to the bonus point question below so pay attention!) and make up tonight's Delaware Crab Cakes.  The Bean sat eating her lunch while I made them practically drooling.  The girl and her seafood, I tell ya!  She was right, though, they were awesome.  (And super easy if you happen to like crab cakes.  I would definitely recommend this recipe, they held together really well which is always my issue with crab cakes. I didn't get the 16 cakes the recipe stated (think my batch was 9) but otherwise these were great)

Yesterday I teased at a sand connection for today.  Delaware has approximately 117 miles of coastline which sure does make for a lot of beaches!  And lots of beaches means lots of sand.  And what do you do with all that sand?  Well in Delaware they are known for their sand castle building competitions!  We talked about this last night putting up the wall and I promised the kiddos a Delaware project that tied into this.  (Grant was really lobbying for making punkin' chunkin' cannons but I nixed this idea)  And since we couldn't actually make sand castles, I came up with a fun alternative to make sand art in jars.  You know what I mean, we've all been to a festival where they have the booths set up with the different types of sand that you can layer in containers and make really cool patterns.  After a lot of hunting (though I knew I'd seen them around here before) we tracked down a kit, complete with sand and jars and went to town tonight!

The kids LOVED this - especially Noah.  He is so crafty and particular about what he wants and how he wants it.  You'll have to see the marvelous pieces they created.

I have a PTA meeting tomorrow night, so the troops are going to do the "We've Been There" state without me which means we may be a little late on a post tomorrow night.  Plus the answer to my 'bonus' question below!  Ooh, and Delaware applesauce cookies.  Plenty of reasons to tackle Hump Day tomorrow!  So until then...

Delaware Fun Fact of the Day: The log cabin originated in Finland. Finnish settlers arrived in Delaware in the mid-1600s and brought with them plans for the log cabin, one of the enduring symbols of the American pioneer. One of the cabins has been preserved and is on display at the Delaware Agricultural Museum in Dover.

We finally found it :)

I don't think they probably have sand in all these colors in Delaware...

Crab cakes all ready to go

Bonus: Who knows 1) What this is and 2) What is has to do with Delaware (Answers tomorrow!)

We have curtains!  We need a new light fixture and the mirror hung and I think we're there :)

My poor friend Beth had a major accident with a mandolin a few weeks ago that led to her having to have a skin graft.  The kids have been super worried about her and her hand.  Well today she got her cast off and took some pictures of the graft healing after about two weeks that the kids begged to see.  This was their reaction.  (Which was much tamer than mine I think.  Feel better, dear friend!)

Kristi's Delaware inspired creation - frozen peach 'smores

Crab cakes - yum!

Noah ready to try him hand at the sand


His first finished project

I'd say he was pretty proud

He also did a small one on a necklace

The Bean gives it a go

Her first finished project

Her necklace piece

Yep, that about sums up today!

No comments:

Post a Comment