Thursday, March 28, 2013

Stick it to ya!

So that mysterious 'man behind the curtain' that comes up with the National Food Holidays threw me another curve ball today - Happy Something on A Stick Day!  Yes, I'm completely serious.  Bring on the corn dogs!

Or in our case chocolate covered bananas and some delicious chicken kebabs.  The kids enjoyed their bananas after lunch - I don't think I saw Mikayla's it disappeared so quickly.  The colorful kebabs had me thinking spring which seems to be make an appearance today as we had lots of sun and temperatures near 50.  Not going to say anything else in fear of jinxing it.

It's also National Black Forest Cake day.  In case you were wondering, it does not originate from the region in Germany nor is it named after it.  It's actually after a liquor distilled in the region that is made with tart cherries.  So that's how we get the yummy chocolate layered cake, with cherries and whipped cream in between the layers.  I turned ours into mini trifles - still yummy!

To cover my bases for tomorrow, I was a busy bee today making both Hot Cross Buns (which is the observed National Food for Good Friday, whenever it might fall) and Lemon Chiffon Cake.  Chiffon cake is light and airy, as it is made with oil instead of butter and egg whites are folded in.  Think Angel Food Cake if you've never had chiffon cake before.  I've got to say that I hope they're good because it was kind of a pain in the butt to make, hehe.  I turned ours into easily transportable cupcakes so some could stay here and some could make their way to Fremont with me.

Alright, I've got to wrap up so I can get on the road.  I'll check in when I can.  Until then..,


 Chocolate covered banana


 Hot Cross Buns


 Lemon Chiffon Cupcakes

 Chicken Kebabs

 Black Forest Cake Trifle

1 comment: