Friday, March 15, 2013

A Cape That Launched A Thousand Ships

 Last night after the kiddos went to bed I hauled out my sewing supplies and got to work.  Thanks to a handy DIY tutorial I found online, I knew it wouldn't be too hard to whip them up a couple of capes.  Who knew how handy old t-shirts could be?  The bonus fact that I actually had pink fabric with white polka dots on it pretty much made my night.  I admit I was so excited to see what they thought I had a hard time sleeping last night :)

The capes were a huge hit.  So much so that my two favorite super heroes have been hanging out with me pretty much all day again today.  While Noah did go to school this morning, it was the Pink Polka Dot Princess and I picked him up.  Then it was me, her and Captain Blue Streak who ran errands together this afternoon.  They have also both been promised by Daddy to get to put together a Super Hero hang-out place tomorrow, so be looking for that.

On to a completely different topic, Happy National Pears Helene Day.  I know, I know, what the heck is that anyway.  Well, named after the operetta La Belle Helene (based on Helen of Troy), it is a fairly simple French desert consisting of a poached pear (poached in a sugary vanilla syrup), topped with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and then drizzled with a chocolate sauce.  Sprinkling of nuts (violets in the original version) optional.  Simple but effective.  It was well received here and a cool dish to pull out for something simple yet elegant.  To make it even simpler (which I didn't do) you could even use canned pears.Try it out yourself :)

We're going on an adventure tomorrow to celebrate Maple Syrup Saturday and we'll work artichoke hearts in there somehow (who came up with that pairing??) I'm sure.  Until then...

The capes

 I know you can't tell from the picture, but Mikayla's is actually pink with polka dots :)

 Pears Helene


So since it's still National Chocolate Chip Cookie Week and I've been trying to figure out how to get rid of the end of the monster cookies I whipped together some Chocolate Chip Cookie Fluff for our movie night tonight :)

No comments:

Post a Comment