Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Kid Kitchen and the GIANT Cookies

 In case you missed me saying it yesterday, this whole week is National Chocolate Chip Cookie week.  That's right, a whole week devoted to a treat that I think might be more American than Apple Pie.  And regardless of if you like them soft and gooey or thin and crunchy there's a cookie out there for you.  Today in Kid Kitchen the kiddos and I set out on a mission to make some gigantic chocolate chip cookies that were all their own.

I decided to let each of them make their own cookie dough and mix in whatever they'd like, as long as they promised to use at least a few chocolate chips so we could properly celebrate.  Mikayla ended up with semi-sweet chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, M&M's, chocolate sprinkles, marshmallows and pecans.  Noah had semi-sweet chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, Reese's Pieces, mint chocolate chips, chocolate sprinkles and marshmallows.  To each their own.  They had a great time making their own small batch of dough and then picking what they were going to do to it.  You'll have to see the pictures to truly understand how monstrous these cookies turned out to be.

We also made lunch together - mac & cheese in a mug!  What a quick easy way to make some homemade mac and cheese.  I think I'd tweak the level of all the ingredients a bit next time (turned out a bit runny for my personal liking) but still a great alternative to that powdery orange stuff from a box.  Hey, maybe that powdery orange stuff is the same stuff that goes on a cheeto....

Not to be forgotten, today is also National Baked Scallop Day.  My apologies to my Dad who I thought was going to share in this goodness as I was hoping to be in Fremont tonight for Scott's Swim Banquet (the banquet that they don't serve food at.  Weird) but that didn't end up working out.  You'll be most happy to know though, Dad, that Mikayla is truly your granddaughter.  She LOVED the scallops.  In fact, she told me she didn't want the angel hair pasta I served it on, just the scallops.  I don't know why I'm so surprised by this after their track record with crabmeat, flounder and clams.  At least I know Friday's during lent are safe at the Gatchel's :)

Coconut Torte (quick, who knows the difference between a torte and a tart?  Check back tomorrow to find out!) tomorrow and my take on school breakfast.  Until then...

Ya gotta love 'em


They were each so excited to get their own


Our myriad of mix-ins

Kayla's dough ready

Kayla's cookie ready for the oven

Noah's cookie ready for the oven

Mug Mac & Cheese


Mikayla's cookie

Noah's cookie

They were as big as their plates!


(This might be my favorite shot of the day)

Baked scallops


1 comment: