Saturday, August 30, 2014

Hail to the Victors!

It's no secret that if you cut me my blood runs maize and blue.  (with a thick stripe of Tiger orange and a streak of Lions Hawaiian blue of course)  I have been counting down the days for weeks now to get us to this one - the season opener of my beloved Wolverines!  My boys didn't disappoint today (thank goodness as I was having flashbacks to seven years ago and what happened with Appalachian State) and gave me a touch of hope for the rest of the season.  So glad to see Farmington Hills native Devin Funchess go the distance with 3 TD's today!  And even though it didn't pan out, had to giggle as Navy gave Ohio State a serious run for their money until about the fourth quarter.

But there was more around here than football today (a Tigers doubleheader, duh!  Just kidding, more than that, too).  This morning Noah and I went off to do his back to school shopping.  The kid can NOT stop talking about how excited he is for school to start.  He keeps saying "I wish it were Tuesday."  God, if you're listening right now, can you make sure that he carries this same attitude for the next 12 years?  I'd be super appreciative!  He and I had a blast at Krispy Kreme for breakfast (his request) and then shopping for his clothes and supplies.  I had a bit of a "mom" moment as he was in the dressing room by himself thinking that it wasn't all that long ago that he needed me for every little thing and now he's picking out his own clothes.  Not going to get all sappy here, but *sigh*

We made it home just after kick off and while we watched I made these Berliner Kransers.  I was intrigued by a recipe for a cookie that started with hard boiled egg yolks and decided I had to try my hand at these.  I did make up the dough last night and stuck to the rolling out today.  If you've ever had those cookies they usually put out around Christmas in the blue tin, these are similar.  The crew LOVE them.  If you do want to try them, my only tip would be to let the dough sit out at room temperature for about 10-15 minutes before you try to roll them into shape, though.  I found it really tough to work with at first (I actually made about half the cookies as just sticks as opposed to the loops) but easier as it warmed just a touch.

This afternoon we went to mass and now Grant took the kids to a special dinner out and a viewing of "How To Train Your Dragon II"  He said since I got to spoil them a bit yesterday it was his turn :-p  I'll be thankful for the few hours of quiet where I can get some things done because the next week is going to be CRAZY!  Probably no post tomorrow since we're heading to Fremont and won't be back 'til late, but check us out on Monday for our official kick-off to my second favorite state.  (Except for their sports teams.  No good sports teams came out of Ohio.  Ever.)  So until then...

North Dakota Fun Fact of the Day:  In 1982 Rutland went into the "Guinness Book of World Records" with the cooking and eating of the World's Largest Hamburger -- 3591 pounds.

He got one fresh out of the fryer

Taking it all in

A football donut in honor of the game

Had to show us the inside

Me and my favorite little boy EVER


Trying on his outfit for the first day

He got to try the claw game (and was devastated when he didn't win...)

Take note - on game day we even only use maize and blue plates and utensils

Berliner Kranser

No comments:

Post a Comment