Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Baby it's cold outside!

Brrrrr!!!!  I promise I'm going to try really hard not to complain all winter about the cold (I mean, we do live in Michigan for crying out loud) so this isn't a complaint, it's a statement.  So I'll say it again - BRRRRR!!!  It's gotten a bit chilly around here the past few days and today marked our first foray into some actual decently accumulating snow.  I suppose it *is* about that time of the year, just doesn't seem possible that we're only a week out from Thanksgiving.  Don't even give me a panic attack and tell me how many days left 'til Christmas...

But one day at a time - and today was a pretty good one!  I got the kiddos off to school and then headed back here for a little bit to whip up a batch of  All American Peanut Butter Cookies (from the Virginia Peanut Council!) with A and Tess.  Was super proud of A for her roll-out and criss-cross skills.  (BTW, in case you want to know WHY peanut butter cookies have a criss-cross pattern, check this out)  It was then off to read in Noah's class for a bit, grab Kayla at school (where I got stuck in a "Lockdown and Hide Drill" which I really don't want to talk about.  I understand the why behind this, but it makes me so sad.) and then we headed off to Colleen's for some lunch, playtime with R, D and E (well, mostly just R!) and a little piano playing.  (Colleen and I were totally rocking a Heart and Soul duet.  I totally don't believe she's never played before!)  I came home for work, we grabbed Noah from the bus and then the kids settled in to work on the "We've Been There" state.  Grant and I are pretty sure we can both claim Virginia, but don't think that the kids can.  This seems odd to me given the location - I'm sure we've driven through at least a piece of it! - but I guess not.

We had to eat a little early tonight since Noah and Grant had to be at a Pack meeting (my adorable Cub Scout was dressed to the nines and ready for his uniform inspection!)  So a relatively easy dinner of Virginia Brunswick Stew.  I mentioned yesterday that the dish has debatable origins (Virginia or Georgia - you decide!) but I prepped it up yesterday and then threw it in my crock pot when we got home this afternoon to finish cooking.  I also tired my hand at Virginia Box Bread because I was intrigued by the baking of biscuits this way.  No complaints from the gang (other than the Bean who is still not feeling very well.  As of 7:15 the tired, reusing to eat, sobbing little girl had worn me (and herself out) and went to bed.  It's currently 7:34 and she's out cold)  who was to feast on the peanut butter cookies when they finished.  

MOPS tomorrow morning, PTA tomorrow night, the kiddos state maps, another seafood recipe for my Bean - tomorrow's another busy one!  So until then...

Virginia Fun Fact of the Day:  Virginia is the home base for the United States Navy's Atlantic Fleet.

Working on assembling Virginia

Ready for the wall

But first a shot with two cute kids

Virginia Box Bread

Yum!

Virginia Brunswick Stew 

Noah ate 6 cookies - I'm not joking.  He said they are the best peanut butter cookies he's ever had.

I love a man in uniform!

Ready for inspection

No comments:

Post a Comment