Thursday, May 29, 2014

Blooming, Bowling and a surprising state

What a beautiful sunshiny day!  I'm posting a little early tonight before we head off to the Dads & Dogs event at school because while the kiddos and Grant will probably be home shortly after 8, I'm not sure when I will make it back.  And I know how you all are just chomping at the bit for a post, so far be it from me to hold on out the latest Gatchel happenings ;-)

Mother Nature decided to co-operate much better today and after getting a chance to catch up with my friend, Jen, for a walk and some gabbing after dropping Noah off on the bus (the Bean got to ride in the wagon), Kayla and I set out to get our flowers planted.  I am by no means an expert gardener, I wouldn't even say that I have a green thumb but I love flowers.  One of my favorite things every Friday afternoon is when Grant brings me home a beautiful bouquet to celebrate the successful completion of the week (isn't he great??) and they make me just as happy outside in the yard.  So my favorite shadow and I had quite the time digging in the dirt and putting some beautiful pots together to go in the front.  Our actual flower beds are very rocky and I haven't had much luck with planting in them, so this will have to do for now.  Though I did notice that the ants are starting to do their work on my peony bushes - can't wait to see those in bloom.  Makes me think about taking a trip to the arboretum soon again.  Remember last year?

After wrapping things up inside, we decided to try our luck with the bowling alley again.  We met up with Tess and Alexis and the girls bowled their hearts out.  I have a feeling that we are going to be frequenting the alleys quite a bit this summer.  Noah was super bummed to learn of our trip when he got home from school, but I was quick to remind him that we have passes for EVERY DAY all summer, I'm sure he'll get to go once or twice.  Come on school, get over with for the year already!

Speaking of Noah coming home, when he did the kiddos tackled their Massachusetts coloring map.  Any guesses?  (It surprised me!)  As usual the pictures do way more justice to it than I ever could.

Making my house smell heavenly all day, I have tomorrow's Boston Baked Beans cooking away (the recipe says they taste even better served the next day, so we're trying that out) in my crock pot.  Can't wait to try them out then.  Also, one word for tomorrow - fluffernutter.  Yep, I said it.  You don't want to miss that, right?

Okay, shutting down so I can head off to Dads and Dogs for some fun at Beechview.  Taking the camera, so may post a few more pictures tonight or just save them for tomorrow.  Not exactly sure what the Bean and I are up to tomorrow (though rumor has it Tinkerbell may be involved...) but I have no doubt it'll be excellent!  So until then...

Massachusetts Fun Fact of the Day: James Michael Curley was the first mayor of Boston to have an automobile. The plate number was "576" - the number of letters in "James Michael Curley." The mayor of Boston's official car still uses the same number on its plate.

Think my Bean is ready for summer?

Ready to get her plant on!




 The following pictures are brought to you courtesy of Mikayla's camera skills (she took pictures of most of the pots we did):









Ready to bowl!

And she's off!


Chilling between frames

She got the hang of it pretty quickly


This is Noah's Massachusetts - "This is the chocolate chip cookie that was invented there and this (the black) is a bowl of the scallops we had last night - they were really good mom"

Mikayla's Massachusetts - (I kid you not she went off and did this all on her own and then came in to explain it to me) "At the bottom are the 4 president guys.  This yellow is them having the feast after they got off this boat (blue to the right of the hook).  The green is them hanging witches.  And the red on the side is them throwing the tea"

I was impressed :)

No comments:

Post a Comment