Friday, April 6, 2012

Marshmallow Drop

Grant and I try really hard to stay on top of the latest happening and events in the area to expose the kids to, (Grant is really good about this!) so the other day when I heard about the Marshmallow Drop I knew we were going to have to check it out. Apparently it's a really big deal up here as there are multiple drops at multiple locations in the area. The kids and I headed out this morning for our first Michigan Marshmallow drop experience!

Chaos does not even begin to cover it! There were thousands of people there. I used the time over in the car to explain to Noah that if he got lost his Mommy's name was Kristi Gatchel and she was wearing a purple coat, but I wanted them to try really hard to stay with me and holding my hand. They did an EXCELLENT job. I was so proud of my two kiddos, especially because of what came next.

They fortunately broke the group into smaller groups and the 4 & unders got to go first. After we squirmed as close to the front as we could, we waited until spotting the helicopter which then literally dropped garbage bags full of marshmallow in this huge park. And they were off! Now the event details made two things super clear 1) Do not eat the marshmallows and 2) you only needed to collect 1 marshmallow to claim a prize. Apparently all the parents weren't in on this loop and I spotted multiple under 4 year olds with baskets collecting marshmallows. Which was all well and good, except for the kiddos (like mine) who then didn't get to actually collect any. Those parents should be ashamed of themselves! If you really want marshmallows that badly, here's a $1, go buy a bag, but let the kiddos have the fun of the experience of picking up one (and only one) for themselves! We came across a little boy who had picked up two and gladly gave one to Noah and then another little boy he was with gave one to Kayla. So while I was very sad that they didn't actually get to pick up and find their own marshmallow, they were able to redeem one for a prize of crayons, a coloring book and a sketch pad. (Thanks to the organizers of the event for no candy!)

On our way home, I was so proud of them for sticking with me, having fun, and not one single whine about not finding their own marshmallow, I stopped and let them pick out a donut for an after lunch treat at the store. We will definitely be doing the marshmallow drop again next year :)

My two favorite marshmallow hunters

This was the sea of humanity forming 20 minutes before the event



Enjoying their treats :)


This was the best shot of the helicopter coming in I could get, it's that little speck, lol!

No comments:

Post a Comment